[fluka-discuss]: Inconsistency in values reported by usxsuw

From: Andrea Celentano <andrea.celentano_at_ge.infn.it>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 14:27:32 +0200

Dear fluka community,
I did a test using the code usxsuw. I have the output from 200 cycles of
a given simulation, where I have multiple USRBDX cards used to score
differential particle currents wrt energy across some region boundaries.
(I use 1-way current scoring, 200 log bins from 0.01 to 11, 1 angular bin)
I did the following:

1. I processed all the 200 output files with the usxsuw code. I get in
the output 3 files, 2 ASCII and 1 binary. The ASCII files report, for
each USRBDX card, the differential currents and the corresponding
errors, as well as the total current, with its error.

2. I divided the 200 files in two parts, each with 100 files. I process
the 100 files with usxsuw as before. I have now 2 binary files, that,
according to documentation, should be statistically equivalent to the
processed files.

3. I run again usxsuw, using as input the two binary files produced by
the previous point. The result I get should be statistically equivalent
to the one from the first point.*However, this is not true.* Only the
integrated value is the same (not the error), while the differential
values and their errors are different.

Has this been noticed or tested before?

In the following web page:

http://www.ge.infn.it/~celentan/fluka

I put a .tar file with the 200 cycles I have, together with the output
files from usxsuw for point 1 (ASCII), point 2 (ASCII and binary), point
3 (ASCII).

Names are:

all -> Output from point1
all2 -> Output from point3

part1, part2 -> Output from point2 (4 files, two binaries and
corresponding two ASCII)

Thanks

Bests

Andrea