[fluka-discuss]: How to score LET spectra due to target fragmentation?

From: Panthi, Rajesh <rpanthi_at_ostatemail.okstate.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 11:12:39 -0500

Hi FLUKA experts,

I am using USRYIELD to score LET spectra at various depths within
polyethylene due to a beam of (i) heavy ions, for example, 150 MeV/n Fe,
and (ii) 1 GeV protons. It appears to me that only the LET spectra due to
the beam fragmentation are scored. I mean, in the case of Iron beam, only
the LET spectra corresponding to fragmentation of Iron ions are scored.
If I use a proton beam, I expect the interaction between the proton and
carbon nuclei (in the case of polyethylene as a target material) thereby
producing atoms/ions with Z<6. Although such fragmentations have very short
range, they do transfer energy to the medium locally (local energy
transfer). Based on the result I get with the proton beam, I don't see any
such LET spectra. Can we not score it or I am doing something wrong here?
Please take a look at my input file and give me some suggestion.

Kindly,

Rajesh Panthi