Re: usdraw & mgdraw.f

From: Francesco Cerutti (Francesco.Cerutti@cern.ch)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 21:24:26 CEST

    Dear Ketil,

    > I have further tried to replace the
    > natural Silicon with the Si-28 isotope by adding the following material card:
    >
    > * ...+....1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+....5....+....6....+....7..
    > MATERIAL 14.0 27.976927 2.33 14.0 28.0SILICON
    >
    > It seems to work fine but can anyone confirm that this is the correct method?

    Yes, it is.

    > As a next step I would also like to collect possible fission fragments. By
    > replacing the silicon in my target with Lead and increasing the length from
    > 0.01 cm to 1 cm I ran a simulation to see if any fission fragments were
    > produced. Using the RESNUCLE scoring card I got a positive result with
    > fragments of Z in the area of ~30-50.
    > However the same fragments are not detected by the usdraw entry in the
    > mgdraw.f routing. In the FLUKA online manual chapter 5 "PArticle and material
    > codes" it is said that fission fragments, when produced, are available from
    > the COMMON FHEAVY with the internal code id 7-12.
    > When having Silicon as a target I detect particles from FHEAVY with id in the
    > range 7-12, but with Lead as a target I actually do not detect any particles
    > from the COMMON FHEAVY at all. This is a bit confusing since I do see fission
    > fragments with the RESNUCLE card.
    > If possible, from which COMMON and/or user routine can I get access to the
    > fission fragments?

    As you pointed out, the fission fragments are in fact available in the
    (FHEAVY) common, labelled by KHEAVY(ip)=7-12. When I run your input with
    1cm lead, I see them in the RESNUCLE output - like you - and in your unit
    44 as well. On the other hand, also for silicon indeed the usdraw
    output lists fragments with KHEAVY(ip)=7-12 (always perfectly consistent
    with the RESNUCLE output), which in this case are Fermi break-up products.

    Cheers

    Francesco

    Francesco Cerutti
    CERN-AB