[fluka-discuss]: eta particles

From: Joseph Comfort <Joseph.Comfort_at_asu.edu>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2017 14:45:08 -0700 (MST)

Once again I need a real, functioning particle code for eta mesons,
equivalent in behavior to that for pi-zero. I need it for things such as
when and exactly where an eta is produced, the mechanism that produced it,
and to be specified or used (even as a 'beam') in the source.f routine.

I have at times inserted coding that computes invariant masses for
particles that are produced in inelastic interactions, via the 2-gamma
decay mode. The process works well for pi0's. But there are too many
important decay modes for eta's for this to be very useful.

Also, as I was informed previously, the eta mass of 480 MeV is not correct
in Fluka.

There have been several experiments that involve eta mesons, and more
are either planned to be run or will be proposed. The eta meson is even
more valuanble for tests of core conservation laws than pi0's.

The problem with eta's goes back to a very unfortuante design choice to
partition particles in terms of the life-times. What efforts are being
made to provide much broader access to all particles for specific
identification (as in counting) and tracking?

Thnak you,
Joe Comfort