FLUKA and micro-PET? -2-

From: Rollet Sofia (Sofia.Rollet@arcs.ac.at)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2007 - 16:16:41 CEST

    Since my previous mail was hardly readable, I am sending again my question
    to the discussion list. (Our official mail has a predefined HTML format
    which usually looks quite normal but sometimes has unpleasant results with
    mailers different from windows. I am now sending it as plain text, as I
    would prefer to do by default if not for some unavoidable superior rules).
    I apologize for this.

    Dear FLUKA Team and users,

    Is there any possibility/interest to use FLUKA to simulate the
    distribution of a positron-emitting radioisotope, such as 18F, in small
    leaving animals and comparing it with a micro-PET scan?

    I saw the interesting work done by Parodi, Ferrari, Sommerer and Paganetti
    to calculate the dose and positron emitter distributions in proton
    therapy, mainly with 11C and 15O but I couldn't find anything else with
    radionuclide tracers. From this work, I saw that it is possible to compute
    the positron emitter distribution using the RESNUCLEi or combining the
    proton fluence with the cross-sections. I suppose it is impossible to use
    FLUKA to simulate the bio-kinetics but it should be possible calculated
    the electron-positron distribution assuming the radionuclide concentration
    in a certain region, but I wonder if this can be of any interest.

    As some of you know, I am using FLUKA since many, many years for a variety
    of application but I never worked with PET. Since here in Seibersdorf
    another group is producing radiopharmaceuticals and using them to study
    bio-kinetics (http://www.healthphysics.at/getbinobj.asp?id=1314) I have
    been asked to investigate the possibility to compare their measurements
    with simulation. I wonder if some of you already did a similar work and
    can give me some references and/or there is any interest in such a
    comparison or collaboration.

    Thank you in advance for any reply and suggestion.

    Best regards,
    Sofia Rollet

    Sofia Rollet
    Radiation Safety and Applications