Re: Question for setting USRBIN energy threshold

From: Giuseppe Battistoni (Giuseppe.Battistoni@mi.infn.it)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2007 - 23:43:48 CEST

    Dear Jason
    If you do not specify otherwise, the minimum energy of neutrons depends on
    the DEFAULT that you are using. If low-energy neutrons are activated
    then the minimu energy is the thermal one (something around 10**-15 GeV)
    and the maximum energy is not fixed. It depends on the maximum energy of
    your primaries (you do not expect to produce neutron with an energy
    greater than that of your BEAM).
    If you need to set thresholds for transport remember that:
    1) PART-THR in case of neutrons sets the minimum threshold
    for E>19.6 MeV
    2) fixing a minimum threshold for low energy neutrons cannot be done in a
    continuos way, since they are transported according to the multi-group
    technique (the energy limits of neutron groups are listed in the manual,
    see chapt. 10). You can instead put a discrete threshold by choosing to
    consider a limited number of energy groups and this is accomplished by
    means of the LOW-BIAS card (see also LOW-NEUT)
    3) given the previous points, you can score your USRBIN results by
    imposing a maximum and minimum energy for your particles (be careful about
    the threshold values for low-energy neutrons). This requires the use of
    one user routine: comscw.f
    The call to this routine is activated by the USERWEIG command.
    By a careful reading of the manual section concerning user routines and
    the comscw in particular, you should easily learn how to intercept your
    energy deposition (USRBIN). There you can avoid to score energy deposition
    by putting the logical variable LSCZER to .TRUE. whenever the energy of
    the current particle (that you can get from the TRACKR Common that it must
    be included in comscw.f) is outside the range of energy of your interest.

    If this is the case of your interest, please read carefully all the
    instruction about compiling user rotines and linking them into a
    specific FLUKA executable.

            Giuseppe Battistoni