[fluka-discuss]: RE: Tc-99m isotope source simulation

From: Thomas Frosio <thomas.frosio_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 11:22:37 +0000

Dear Minal Y. Nadar,

I transfer your email in Fluka-discuss so that everyone can benefit from your question.

Two points can explain your differences:
1) If your RADDECAY card is in semi-analog mode, each daughter nucleus are treated in Monte-Carlo as particles.
In this case, the result of your dose comes from an equilibrium between Tc-99m and Tc-99.
A solution to get specific dose from Tc-99m would be to simulate dose from Tc-99m and from Tc-99 and to calculate the difference between these doses and get only the one from Tc-99m.

2)The second reason could come from your literature source.
Tc-99m is often produced from decay of Mo-99.
Sometimes, in literature, we can find dose of the mixture Mo-99/Tc-99m at secular equilibrium.

I hope this helps,
Best regards,
Thomas Frosio