[fluka-discuss]: changing particle weight

From: Shirley Li <shirleyli.phys_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 21:09:11 -0700

Dear FLUKA users,

I'm simulating particle propagation in liquid argon. I want to implement
an effective "detector threshold". So, in the example attached below, in
usrmed.f, I change the weight of protons below 10 MeV from 1 to 0.5, so I
can study energy deposition above and below thresholds.

However, I notice that for these protons that have 0.5 weight, their
quenched energy depositions don't seem to be correct. In mgdraw.f, I
record energy deposition by protons, both DTRACK and DTQUEN. I thought I
can calculate DTQUEN from DTRACK for each track, by etrack --> dE/dx -->
quenching factor from Birk's law. This checks out for all tracks with
weight 1, but doesn't for all tracks with weight 0.5. See attached figure
where I compare DTQUEN and my calculated quenched energy deposition. I
also attached the output from mgdraw.f.

Are there any problems changing particle weight this way? Or did I
misunderstand how DTQUEN is calculated?

Thank you very much!

Shirley