[fluka-discuss]: Proton energy deposition in a thin silicon detector

From: prieto pena juan <juan.prieto_at_rai.usc.es>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 18:01:24 +0000

Dear FLUKA experts and users,

I am trying to simulate the energy deposition of protons in a thin
silicon detector (5.5 um). I used for this a previous simulation I had
that worked well with carbon ions, but in this case the behaviour of my
simulation does not match my experimental data.

The 18 MeV protons traverse several depths of air, plastic and PMMA
before reaching the silicon. For a thickness of 2 mm of PMMA I get the
attached histogram. There appears to be a cutoff of some kind around 500
keV and also the peak position seems to be a bit shifted (according to
my calculations, it should be around 150 keV and its closer to 200 keV
in this simulation). I think my physics settings are to blame, but I do
not have a clue of what is wrong here.

I took a look at several older mails but I could not find anything that
could solve my problem, so your help would be much appreciated.

I attach my .inp file as well.

Regards,

--
Juan Prieto-Pena
Predoctoral researcher, Department of Particle Physics