Re: [fluka-discuss]: [fluka-discuss] neutron fluence spectrum

From: George Kharashvili <georgek_at_jlab.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 19:25:46 +0000

Dear Angel,

You should not expect USRBDX and USRTRACK to produce identical results in this case. With USRBDX you are scoring fluence at the boundary of the 5-cm concrete region, while with USRTRACK you are scoring average fluence throughout the region. The results would be identical if neutrons did not interact (so vacuum, or a very thin region) and you had the same spectrum entering and exiting the region.

For issues specific to neutrons, such as the multigroup treatment and the corresponding scoring, please review the Low energy neutron lecture from one of the FLUKA courses.
I would again encourage you to read the discussion on the subject of plotting neutron spectrum from this forum http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/5650.html
It explains why it makes sense to use isolethargic neutron spectrum - dPhi(E)/d(log E) vs. log E.

Best regards,
George