Re: [fluka-discuss]: Error percent

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 10:11:15 +0100

Dear Payvand,

the statistical error (provided by the code from the comparison of
different cycles) may become negligible for some problems, if the achieved
statistics is large enough. But this evidently does not mean that the
result is 'exact', since one has to wisely consider the systematic error
on top of that, related to the accuracy of your model (geometry and
material description, threshold settings, scoring resolution, etc) and the
physics implementation. In your case (isotope decay and purely
electromagnetic dose), the uncertainty may be limited (still I'm not sure
that adopting different electron thresholds is a good idea, since you
break the electron equilibrium at material boundaries), but obviously the
code cannot give you a direct quantitative estimate of the systematic
error.

Kind regards
Francesco

Francesco Cerutti