RE: [fluka-discuss]: RE: spectrum normalization and actual dose

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 14:28:34 +0100

Dear Alex,

deposited energy [MeV] and tracklength [cm] scale with the volume (the
larger the volume, the larger their value), while dose [Gy], energy
density [GeV/cm3] and fluence [cm-2] don't, since they are the above ones
divided by the respective volume.

Now, technically:

USRTRACK divides by the respective region volume only if you put the
latter in the USRTRACK card. Otherwise, you can easily divide yourself as
you handle the results. Assuming that this division is made (by the code
or by yourself), if you eventually integrate over energy (something that
actually you do not really need to do, since you find it already done in
the _sum.lis file), you will indeed get GeV/cm^2 for ENERGY scoring (that
is a rather weird scoring choice for USRTRACK, since in that case it's not
deposited energy, rather particle kinetic energy). But you will get
photon/[cm^2] for PHOTON scoring, and not photon/[cm^2*MeV], since you
integrated over energy (DX*).
As for USRBIN region ENERGY scoring, if you divide by the region material
(air) density, you do not get dose [GeV/g], you get something [GeV*cm3/g]
that needs to be further divided by the region volume to become (the
average) dose.
Finally, the 3D integral (DX*DY*DZ*) of the fluence scored by USRBIN
Cartesian PHOTON gives definitely the same photon tracklength as obtained
by USRBIN Region PHOTON, provided that the region coincides with the
integral volume. If instead you plot in Flair the photon fluence as a 1D
distribution (e.g. in X) and you multiply by DX only, you are producing a
quantity of less evident meaning.

I think I answered at the beginning your first question. The ICRP units
refer to dose and fluence, which do not scale with the reference volume.

About "per primary", it does not refer to tracklength, but to the 'beam'
particle. This way, one can scale results with the actual source (beam)
intensity (i.e. physical number of primary particles).

I have no idea how you integrated the photon fluence spatial distribution.
As indicated above, a proper 3D integration must give back the tracklength
in the region, as it does.

Cheers

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti