Re: Energy deposited in a vacuum with USRBIN

From: Alberto Fasso' (fasso@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2008 - 04:39:44 CET

    Hi Jeff,

    when an electron is stopped because of a transport energy cutoff, its
    energy is entirely deposited at the stopping point. The reason for that,
    as you have guessed, is to keep a correct energy balance.
    Even if that could be considered unphysical, depositing energy in
    vacuum would be even more unphysical: therefore electron cutoff is
    not allowed to work in vacuum.

    In some problems where one wants to study the photons but not the electrons
    which have generated them, setting a very high electron cutoff in a region is a
    convenient way to get rid of the electron component. (In reality,
    that could be done for instance by a magnet).
    But for the reason explained above, the "killing region" cannot be a
    vacuum region. In order to interact as little as possible with the
    other particles, it is a good practice to make such a region very thin
    and filled with a very low density material.

    Alberto