Re: Proton Diffractive Scattering

From: Paola Sala (paola.sala@mi.infn.it)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 12:16:19 CET

    Dear Lewis

    Since you mention Fermi motion I suppose that your question regards both
    elastic and quasi-elastic scattering.

    Coherent elastic scattering on the whole nucleus is treated by fluka
    as optical scattering by a gray disk.

    Quasi-elastic scattering, that is elastic scattering on a target
    nucleon leaving the target nucleus in an excited state, can be treated
    in two ways depending on the projectile energy:
    -- Below 5 GeV the PEANUT nuclear interaction model includes
    quasi-elastic scattering just as one of the possible outcomes of the
    microscopic treatment of nucleon-nucleus scattering. Therefore, Fermi
    motion, Pauli blocking etc. are automatically included. NOTE that
    PEANUT can be used also above its default threshold to cover all the
    energy range. This is not yet the default in FLUKA, can be activated
    through the PHYSICS card (see the release notes).
    -- At higher energies, quasi-elastic is modeled by a parametrization of
    experimental data. NOTE : this part will be eliminated as soon as the
    PEANUT extension becomes the default.

    Ciao
    Paola
    > All,
    >
    > I would like to know the analytic expression in the FLUKA code for the =
    > double-differential cross section for small angle proton-nucleus =
    > scattering where the proton loses a few percent of it's energy. Does =
    > the code include nuclear Fermi motion? Thanks,
    >
    > Lewis Keller

    Paola Sala
    INFN Milano
    tel. Milano +39-0250317374