Re: [fluka-discuss]: Energy loss of relativistic nuclei in a crystal

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 10:47:17 +0200

Hello
From a fist check, with oxygen ions at fixed energies, I cannot reproduce
your results. The dE/dx stays fairly constant, as expected.
One doubt: did you set the energy in the BEAM card to a sufficiently high
value to cover all the source ions? If not, de/dx tabulations will not be
correctly initialized. If yes.. could you please send me your input, or at
least the card you use for physics and transport settings?
Thanks
Paola

> Hello fluka developers,
> I am doing simulations of the energy deposit of oxygen nuclei at high
> energy in a bar of PWO crystal (density 8.28 g/cm^3, 2 cm thick).
> Oxygen nuclei have generated according to KE^-1 spectrum, where KE is the
> kinetic energy per particle spanning from 178 GeV to 316 TeV.
> I made plots (see attached figure to this email) of the energy loss
> (dE/dx) distributions (computed from the energy deposited in the bar, and
> dividing by
> the square of the particle charge) for different energy intervals of KE.
> In these plots, nuclei undergoing hadronic inelastic interaction
> (somewhere in the crystal) are not included.
> As you can see, dE/dx has a nearly constant value (around 2 MeV cm^2/g,
> as expected) up to KE ~ 10 TeV, then it increases dramatically for higher
> KE.
> I wonder which might be the physical reason for this increase of dE/dx.
> I would have expected an almost constant value for relativistic charged
> particles (in the Fermi plateau).
> Are there any radiative effects turned-on for ultra-relativistic charged
> particles?
> Thanks for your help.
> Paolo Maestro

Paola Sala