Re: Neutron Interaction

From: Stefan Roesler <sroesler@mail.cern.ch>
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 19:43:30 CEST

Hello

I am not sure you can obtain this information from a multi-group transport
scheme.

The scattering is not simulated as an exclusive process. Neutrons are
transported between groups (they carry a group number but not a specific
energy) and interactions are described based on matrices of
down-scattering probabilities, i.e. of probabilities for a neutron in
group i to end up in group j after scattering. In addition, only three
discrete polar scattering angle are taken into account. Similarly, gammas
are generated in a multi-group scheme: another down-scattering matrix
tells the probabilities for a neutron in a certain group to emit a photon
with an energy in one of the gamma groups (the gammas, however, are then
followed explicitly as any other electromagnetic cascade).

Energy deposition of a neutron in a certain group is based on kerma
factors averaged over all possible group transfers. Also (n,xn) reactions
are not simulated by explicitly creating x neutrons (except fission) but
by adjusting the weight of the neutron accordingly (becomes larger than
unity). However, *on average* everything is correct (except extreme
cases of very thin material layers) and energy conserved.

Point-wise scattering is available in FLUKA only for a very few elements;
please see the manual for details (input card LOW-NEUT).

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Roesler