Re: [fluka-discuss]: Design of Free air Ionization chamber

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 17:54:55 +0100

Dear Bhushan Patil,
If I understand correctly, your primary particles (the beam) are photons,
and you want to distinguish particles (electrons, positrons) generated by
the primary photon from particles generated by secondary photons.

I would suggest to use a combination of stupre.f and comscw.f routines:
The stupre.f routine is called at each electromagnetic interaction.
There, you can set a user variable that will be propagated to all the
chain of particles originated in the interaction. You can set this varable
equal to the "generation number" of the photon, that is =1 if the photon
is a primary one.
Then you can filter your scoring (USRBIN ? ) with comscw.f maknig a check
on the set variable
:
in stupre.f

You'll have to add at the beginning
     INCLUDE '(TRACKR)'
Then within tthe "Do 100" loop:

IF ( JTRACK .EQ. 7 ) ! interacting particle is a photon
  IESPAK (1,KP)= LTRACK ! store its generation number
                         ! kp is the index in the general EM stack

ENDIF

The IESPAK array is automagically transferred to all daughters,
grandaughtes etc, and is copied by the "currently transported" particle
in the ISPUSR array

in comscw.f
You'll have to add at the beginning
     INCLUDE '(TRACKR)'
 select the binning you wish to apply, and

check
   IF (ISPUSR(1) .eq 1) ! the photon was a primary

Please have a look at the scoring lecture and exercise from the latest
advanced fluka course for details on how to use comscw.f

Hope this helps
Paola

> Dear Fluka experts and users,
>
> Wish you happy new year.
>
> I am designing a free air ionization chamber and have to simulate the
> chamber to determine the correction factors for electron-loss and
> scattered photon (coherently scattered and fluorescence photons).
>
> Q1: How can I score separately the energy deposited by the primary
> electrons (i.e those generated by the interaction of the incident photon
> )
> and the electrons produced due to scattered photon and fluorescence
> photon?
> Q2: I read in manual to use USRDUMP and mgdraw.f to solve this problem. If
> my understanding is correct then does I need to change any parameters in
> mgdrarw.f .
>
> Thanking you for your help
>
> Bhushan Patil

Paola Sala