[fluka-discuss]: kerma calculation / impact from beam size

From: Ševčik Aleksandras <aleksandras.sevcik_at_ktu.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 19:40:53 +0000

Hello,

I'm struggling to understand why the beam size/shape affects my dose calculations. I have made usrbrin 1x1x30 cm detector along Z axis and simulated 1 MeV photon beam. If the beam size is equal to 1x1 cm rectangular shape, the value is exactly as expected, ~4.47e-12 Gy. However, if I increase the size of the beam, for example, to 2x2 cm, the value proportionally decreases, in this case four times. I don't get why the increased beam size area affects the dose value in the detector. It is probably related to the way how I am plotting them? Could maybe someone to point out what I am missing? I am getting the values by plotting them as 1-D projection along Z axis

Regards
Alex