[fluka-discuss]: Errors running gcrexampleAllParticle

From: Jackson Wagner <jackwags_at_tamu.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 14:31:30 -0500

Dear Fluka experts,

I have been attempting to run cosmic particle simulations, but I
have encountered errors when running the included example. I think I have
solved one error, but it brought up another error that I do not understand.
I am using the 64-bit version of FLUKA with gfortran-8 (version 8.4.0) on
the Windows Subsystem for Linux (installed using the instructions here:
https://flukadocker.github.io/fluka_wsl/).

The included example.inp runs without error and produces results, but the
included gcrexampleAllParticle.inp does not.

Copying and executing the example as provided appears to work through all
five cycles:
> cd /fluka-work-dir/
> cp -a $FLUPRO/gcrtools/gcrexamples/AllParticleExample/ .
> cd AllParticleExample/
> $FLUPRO/flutil/rfluka gcrexampleAllParticle
However, it gives no results due to an error in cycle 1. Its .err file says
the following:
      Usryield's n. 4 and n. 1 have the same name: 970.6g/cm2
      **** Execution terminated ***
The subsequent cycles did not run because this first cycle crashed.
Commenting out the USRYIELD cards for MU+ (input file lines 68-73) fixes
this problem, but another problem emerges.

Running the modified input appears to start properly:
> $FLUPRO/flutil/rfluka gcrexampleAllParticle-modified
> $TARGET_MACHINE = Linux
> $FLUPRO = /usr/local/fluka
>
> Initial seed already existing
> Running fluka in /path/to/fluka-work-dir/fluka_9786
> ================================ Running FLUKA for cycle # 1
However, the terminal holds at the last line for about 30 seconds before
the program simply ends with no additional screen output, and the temporary
folder (fluka_9786) remained.

Within the temporary folder, the .err file shows errors at beam particle 1.
They were mostly geometry errors that appeared to be resolved internally,
and there were no apparent fatal errors. However, the .log file appears to
show a Fortran error:
       At line 1990 of file gcrspe.f
       Fortran runtime error: Index '-7' of dimension 1 of array 'exenrg'
below lower bound of -6

       Error termination. Backtrace:
       #0 0x7ff52c99d38d in ???
       #1 0x7ff52c99df25 in ???
       #2 0x7ff52c99e2f7 in ???
       #3 0x7ff52d58765d in gcrspe_
       at /home/psala/releasefluka2020/fluprogfor/gcrmvax/gcrspe.f:1990
       #4 0x7ff52d2feb75 in feeder_
       at /home/psala/releasefluka2020/fluprogfor/kaskadmvax/feeder.f:189
       #5 0x7ff52d20432b in flukam_
       at /home/psala/releasefluka2020/fluprogfor/mainmvax/flukam.f:3598
       #6 0x7ff52d20271b in fluka
       at /home/psala/releasefluka2020/fluprogfor/mainmvax/fluka.f:318
       #7 0x7ff52d20271b in main
       at /home/psala/releasefluka2020/fluprogfor/mainmvax/(USFLMD):23
I presume this is what is causing the FLUKA to crash, but its solution is
not apparent to me. I thought it could have been an install issue, but the
same errors occurred when I installed FLUKA manually from the website. The
latter error also occurs when I try to run similar calculations with my own
input files (with geometry/materials cards generated by atmloc_2011).

The attached .zip file includes the AllParticleExample working folder
without empty files (which prevented compression) and without the fort.16,
.spc, and .spe files (which prevented the folder's attachment to this
email).

Best Regards,
Jackson

--
Jackson Wagner
PhD Student, Nuclear Engineering, Texas A&M University