[fluka-discuss]: Differences between scoring

From: Alessandro Calamida <alex.calamida2_at_tiscalinet.it>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 17:41:03 +0200

Dear FLUKA experts,

I need to score the total energy deposited by the fusion alpha particles
on a detector. I must use the mgdraw rountine and I cannot use the
built-in scoring unfortunately. However, I found a problem. In the
Mgdraw routine I cannot score the total kinetic energy deposited by the
particles. If I score the RULL, this is 0 beacause on the spot the
alphas have alread spent all of their energy. The ETRACK gives me the
total energy of the particle (rest+kinetic), but if I subtract the rest
mass it gives me 0. I tried to score the DTRACK and it gives me the 90%
of the time the results of 10^-4 GeV. My particles have a kinetic energy
that ranges between 2.5 and 3.5 MeV.

To verify that all of their kinetic energy is deposited in the detector
I scored the deposited energy with the detect card. I also scored the
track lenght density with the USRTRACK card. The results are in the
Figures attached. The energy spectrum recorded with detect card is what
is expected for alpha particle coming from fusion reaction in the angle
range of 90-180 deg. This is the same results that we have in the real
detector. However, the results for the USRTRACK are very different.

Why I obtain this results with the USRTRACK? Why with the USRBDX scoring
card I obtain the same results of the detect one?

The material of the detector is silicon. The alpha particles are coming
from the DT fusion reaction.

Best regards and thank you for your time, Alessandro Calamida.