Re: [fluka-discuss]: Differences between scoring

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 09:30:46 +0200

Dear Alessandro
you get different results because you are scoring different things -)

DETECT gives a spectrum of TOTAL DEPOSITED energy, as you say the same as
in a detector

USRBDX gives kinetic energy on the entrance boundary. Only in your case it
coincides with the deposited energy, because alphas are stopping.

USTRACK gives the particle fluence INSIDE you region, thus the spectrum
"follows" the slowing down of alpha particles, from the initial spectrum
as recorded by USRBDX down to zero, in the selected region.
Oscillations are due to the excessive smallness of the energy intervals
with respect to the particle steps.

Also in your MGDRAW, please do not mix kinetic energy and deposited
energy, although alpha particles do stop in your detector the procedure is
conceptually wrong.

You should absolutely be able to retrieve all energy depositions in mgdraw,
using both the main mgdraw entry and the ENDRAW entry. if you wish can
send me the routine.
Hope this helps
Paola

> Dear FLUKA experts,
>
> I need to score the total energy deposited by the fusion alpha particles
> on a detector. I must use the mgdraw rountine and I cannot use the
> built-in scoring unfortunately. However, I found a problem. In the
> Mgdraw routine I cannot score the total kinetic energy deposited by the
> particles. If I score the RULL, this is 0 beacause on the spot the
> alphas have alread spent all of their energy. The ETRACK gives me the
> total energy of the particle (rest+kinetic), but if I subtract the rest
> mass it gives me 0. I tried to score the DTRACK and it gives me the 90%
> of the time the results of 10^-4 GeV. My particles have a kinetic energy
> that ranges between 2.5 and 3.5 MeV.
>
> To verify that all of their kinetic energy is deposited in the detector
> I scored the deposited energy with the detect card. I also scored the
> track lenght density with the USRTRACK card. The results are in the
> Figures attached. The energy spectrum recorded with detect card is what
> is expected for alpha particle coming from fusion reaction in the angle
> range of 90-180 deg. This is the same results that we have in the real
> detector. However, the results for the USRTRACK are very different.
>
> Why I obtain this results with the USRTRACK? Why with the USRBDX scoring
> card I obtain the same results of the detect one?
>
> The material of the detector is silicon. The alpha particles are coming
> from the DT fusion reaction.
>
> Best regards and thank you for your time, Alessandro Calamida.
>

> --
> Questa e-mail รจ stata controllata per individuare virus con Avast
> antivirus.

Paola Sala
INFN Milano
tel. Milano +39-0250317374