[fluka-discuss]: MC models - pB fusion

From: Julien Bonvalet <julien.bonvalet_at_u-bordeaux.fr>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 21:23:55 +0200 (CEST)

Dear paola, dear fluka experts,

We are always working on pB fusion in my group and alpha particle production.
We have again a question about pB11 reaction.

We have two beams of protons with 2 different spectra (see in attachment): one up to 10MeV the other up to 35MeV.
We are puzzled beacause we obtain more alphas (4 times more in B11) with spectrum up to 35MeV whereas cross section for the pB11 reaction presents big resonances before 1MeV and spectrum up to 1MeV presents 10 times more p+ in the range 0-1MeV...

I use mgdraw routine and look at all alphas that are produced inside the Boron Nitride target.

I tried to compare with GEANT4. Results are in quite good agreement between the 2 MC codes. But when I look at GEANT4 TENDL cross sections, the cross section is 0 between 0 and 1MeV. Is it the same thing in Fluka? Because a the target front side, the results are more different between FLUKA and GEANT4 and at the front side, the low energy is concerned.

Thank you very much for your help

Julien
CELIA