[fluka-discuss]: Estimate Error on Neutron Yield

From: emilio <emilio_at_impcas.ac.cn>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 18:27:38 +0800 (GMT+08:00)

Dear FLUKA experts,

I hope this is not too much of-topic. I am studying the neutron yield from muons traveling through rock, is there a way to estimate the error on the neutron yield?

Naively, I was guessing it should go like Sqrt[N], where N is the number of neutrons produced, however this does not seems to be the case: I don't have any hard evidence on this, however I run a simulation twice, once I got 32,000 neutrons produced (from 10^6 primary particles) and the second time I've got 33,000, while Sqrt[N]~180.

Is there a way to estimate the errors on such a quantity without running many copies of the same simulation? If not, how many copies should be needed to get a reasonable estimation?

Thanks

Emilio