Re: Ubuntu 8.10 - missing g77

From: Alfredo Ferrari <alfredo.ferrari_at_cern.ch>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 18:18:10 +0100

Hi

FLUKA doesn't work with gfortran. First of all it would require
recompiling the whole code (object files produced by g77 and gfortran are
mutually incompatible), and anyway at least until my latest test gfortran
was still miscompiling parts of the code. I didn't have time to pinpoint
which routine(s) and why, also because a previous interaction two years
ago with the gfortran developers was a nightmare to say the least...

So I do not expect FLUKA running on gfortran on a short term
basis (medium term yes), while on a short term there will be
a version running on g95 (look at www.g95.org) a fork of gfortran.

          Ciao
         Alfredo

  On Sat, 8 Nov 2008, David Horvath wrote:

> Dear Fluka users,
>
> I upgraded my linux to Ubuntu 8.10 and I tried to complie a Fluka executable,
> but I got the following error: g77 is missing.
> I tried to reinstall it, but it's removed from the package lists.
>
> I searched the ubuntu forums to find the solution and figured out that now
> ubuntu is supporting the gfortran compiler.
> I set up an alias to use gfortran when I want to use g77, but during the
> comilation doesn't work.
>
> The old executables are started working after installing the libg2c0 package.
>
> My question: How can I tell Fluka to use gfortran instead of g77, or somebody
> knows how to install g77 to ubutu 8.10?
>
> Thank you for your answers.
>
> Cheers,
> David HORVATH
> engineering physicist student
> Budapest University of Technology and Economics

|  Alfredo Ferrari                ||  Tel.: +41.22.76.76119            |
|  CERN-AB                        ||  Fax.: +41.22.76.69474            |
|  1211 Geneva 23                 ||  e-mail: Alfredo.Ferrari_at_cern.ch  |
|  Switzerland                    ||                                   |