Re: [fluka-discuss]: FLUKA Website Download SSL/TLS version

From: Stefan E. Mueller <stefan.mueller_at_hzdr.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 12:57:11 +0100 (CET)

Hi Jürgen,

I do not experience this behavior for the webpage, but I noticed something
similar when I tried to "wget" the FLUKA .tar.gz-files from the commandline
on one of our servers - right after I give the password for my FLUKA-User-ID
(fuid), I get the message

OpenSSL: error:1425F102:SSL routines:ssl_choose_client_version:unsupported
protocol
Unable to establish SSL connection.

Searching for a solution on the internet, I found that adding

--ciphers=DEFAULT:_at_SECLEVEL=1

to the wget-command would allow me to download the files.

But this happens only on one of our servers (the one running Ubuntu
20.04), as far as I can tell all other servers and computers do not need
these extra parameters to wget.

Apparently there are some versions of openssl which use SECLEVEL 2 as
default in the configuration, and others don't, and the "Download" and
"My account" sections of the fluka.org webpage support SECLEVEL 1, and not
SECLEVEL 2 which would require TLS 1.2 protocol (I just checked, fluka.org
uses TLS 1.0).

So as long as www.fluka.org does not upgrade the TLS protocol, one would
need to downgrade to SECLEVEL 1.

Cheers,

         Stefan

--
Stefan E. Mueller
Department of Information Services and Computing - Computational Science