Re: [fluka-discuss]: Question about Moliere theory in FLUKA

From: <alfredo.ferrari_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 09:42:20 +0200

Dear Ryan

I am not completely sure I understand your question. I try to answer
below, hoping it helps.

The FLUKA mcs algorithm fully uses the Moliere distribution, it is the
Moliere distribution itself which "naturally" goes into the single
scattering one (or more exactly the single scattering one as described by
the Moliere expression for single scattering) at large angles.

In short, FLUKA samples from the full Moliere distribution. Users can choose
to select alternatively single scattering (very CPU expensive), or some
compromise (eg single scattering at boundaries and/or for steps too short
for the range of applicability of Moliere). There is a description on the
manual.

Concerning the 1992 paper, it is still a good reference for the present
status of the mcs in the code, be careful that there are a few typos in
the formulae!

Alfredo