Re: [fluka-discuss]: Question about LET scoring with USRBIN

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_orange.fr>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 21:40:41 +0200

Hello
in the input you sent, the target is rectangular with a 5*5  cm surface
(+-2.5 in each direction) , and the beam is annular with a 5 cm radius.
It means that the beam is larget than the target, thus many of the ions
will miss the target ans deposit zero energy in it.
Thus, the fluka result, that is given "per primary" will be
"underestimated " by the ratio of the areas, that is a factor pi (3.14).
  Per primary means averaged over all the primaries, including those
missing the target.
The rest of the normalization depends on how you normalize the SRIM
results. This I do not know, but it looks like you have a normalization
the depends on the target surface, which might lead to errors. Maybe it
would be bette to normalize to a unit surface, 1 cm^2, (which you get
directly in Fluka).
Hope it helps
Paola