Re: [fluka-discuss]: ROT-DEFI problem

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_orange.fr>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 10:09:34 +0100

Dear Gaia
Indeed, the collimator is not positioned where Flair shows it.
In the geometry transformations, the translation is always applied
before any rotation. The reason is that translation can be applied
immediately while reading the geometry, rotation instead has to be
applied runtime because it can modify the body "type".
( from the manual, section 8.2.5.4 "$Start_expansion takes precedence
over $Start_translat, which in turn
  takes precedence over $Start_transform.")
Thus, independently of the order of $start_translat and $start_transform
in the input, fluka will always perform the translation first, which is
not what you wanted here.
Flair instead only issue a warning, you can see it tin the flair output
window, when the input ordering is not correct, but it proceeds to plot
the geometry following the input ordering, that in your case is not the
fluka ordering. This is a regrettable behavior that we'll modify as soon
as possible.
To solve your problem, you can add the translation as last step of the
definition of your roto-translation matrices, with the ROT-DEFI card,
and avoid the translat directive in the geometry.
Regards
Paola