Re: AW: [fluka-discuss]: Proton beam profile after liquid target in magnetic field

From: aferrari <alfredo.ferrari_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:43:20 +0100

Dear Anna

The "fake" double spots are due to incorrect tracking settings.
Unfortunately the transport in magnetic field inside materials involves
the combination of angular deflections due to the magnetic field and the
multiple scattering. This combination is unavoidably inexact (see the
discussion below taken from a different case, but same problematic,
which unfortunately was not forwarded to the list), and, in order to get
it "correct" it requires care in setting step lengths in regions where
magnetic fields and materials co-exist, eg your target.
In your case in absence of any other constrain (the 25 deg constrain
implies huge step lengths). the target is span in one single long step
which on top gets cut at the border (-> multiple scattering
inaccuracies). Just forcing the step length in the target to 1 cm solves
the problem (see attached input, stepsize cards, and plot).
Further reducing the steplength does no longer change the results.

As a comment, when I refereed to the accuracy in finding boundaries wrt
the region thickness I meant that what you had was too large not too
small. With a couple of 100 um thick regions the bounding finding
accuracy should be << 100 um at least for those regions. I corrected it
in your input, even though it is not the cause of your problem.

In the future we'll try to devise a (hopefully) automatic strategy for
setting those step sizes in materials in absence of user input and when
magnetic fields are present, however it is not a straightforward task.

Below the old discussion of a couple of years ago with another user (in
that case there was a long gas region with magnetic field).

Alfredo

there is nothing really wrong with the treatment of multiple scattering
in gases in presence of a magnetic field. Only, the approximation used,
which is the same for regions without magnetic field, which consists in
applying the cumulative effect of multiple Coulomb scattering over the
step
length at the end of the step, is significantly more sensitive,
accuracy-wise,
to the step length, given that the magnetic field "turns" the particles
on its own. In order to achieve better accuracy, you can proceed in two
ways
a) reducing the default step length, 10 cm in magnetic field
corresponding roughly to 500 individual scatterings in your case, eg to
1 cm.
This can be accomplished by adding in your example the following cards:
MULSOPT 1.0 1.0
GLOBAL
STEPSIZE 1.0 GASVOL GASVOL
(see the manual for their meaning)
b) invoking single scattering treatment everywhere in your gas regions.
This possibility assures the maximum accuracy at the prize of a
significant CPU penalty, but if you are sensitive to sub-millimeter
accuracy over tens of metres it is the best choice. For your example,
this can be achieved adding:
MULSOPT 999999990 BEAMAT BEAMAT

I checked that both a) and b) give reasonable results in your example,
with a) being similar to b) (but b) is guaranteed to give the "correct"
result withing the limit of our Coulomb scattering implementation).