Re: Fluka2008 - manual setting of max. particles in source routine

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 13:51:51 -0800 (PST)

Hi Chris,

even before, setting NCASES = NCASE was not the most elegant way
to terminate the run. It worked, but it was not guaranteed, as you
have just found out.
There are other "non-elegant ways" to do it: for instance I have
sometimes opened with success a fluka.stop file.
But I don't recommend it: these are dirty tricks. The regular way is to
set NOMORE = 1. This variable is not in COMMON
either, but it is the only argument of the SOURCE calling list.
It is transferred back to routine FEEDER, which stops "feeding"
particles and returns to FLUKA main for final output.

Alberto

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, Chris Theis wrote:

> Dear developers,
> we've recently discovered that the manual setting of the maximum number
> of particles inside the source routine does not work anymore with Fluka
> 2008. In previous versions it was possible to enforce a premature but
> clean termination of a run by setting NCASES in the source routine to
> the current number of the started particle. With Fluka 2008 this
> approach seems to be broken as the loop termination condition of the
> feeder now triggers on ANCASS. Unfortunately, this variable is not
> included in a common block in contrast to NCASES and thus, any
> modification in the source routine will not propagate to the feeder.
>
> For 2-step routines which have to set the maximum number of particles
> dynamically during the runtime (e.g. based on a phase-space file which
> is loaded) this functionality is critical in order to avoid manual
> intervention by the user which could be rather error prone. Is there
> any other way which is recommended now to terminate the current cycle,
> based on a runtime condition, or would it be possible to include ANCASS
> in a common block?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help!
>
> Cheers
> Chris

> Chris Theis
> CERN/DG-SC - European Organization for Nuclear Research
> 1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland
> Phone: +41 22 767 8069 Office: 892-2A-015
> e-mail: Christian.Theis@cern.ch www: http://www.cern.ch/theis

Alberto Fasso`
SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025
Phone: (1 650) 926 4762   Fax: (1 650) 926 3569
fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu