Combining data from runs on different machines/architectures

From: Roger Hälg <rhaelg_at_phys.ethz.ch>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 14:24:38 +0200

Dear FLUKA experts

I plan to use a condor cluster to enhance the CPU power for my
simulations. The cluster consists of machines with different
architectures (Intel, AMD, AMD64, x86_64). I want to start several runs
with one or more cycles on many machines in parallel using different
initial seeds and combine the simulated data in the end. Inevitably the
runs will be performed on Linux PCs with different architectures.

I have in mind to have read here in the mailinglist something about the
problems using the data simulated on different machines, mainly
concerning the usage of the random number generator. Unfortunately I
can't find the post anymore.

So my question is, if it is possible to combine the data from the
different machines without adulterate the results? Or do I have to
account for something in addition?
Any further explanation of this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Roger