Scoring total charge with USRBIN

From: <theodorekon_at_inp.demokritos.gr>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 17:08:25 +0300 (EEST)

Dear FLUKA authors and users,
we are trying to make a very simple simulation using FLUKA in order to
calculate the total charge created in our volume by a beam of protons
(or deuterons) of energy 0.5GeV. In order to do that we created a very
simple RPP target (x=10,y=10,z=10) filled with our gas (argon 90%,
butane 10%). For scoring we used a USRBIN card with 100 bins in each
direction. The result is, if we're not mistaken, in
electrons/primary/cm^3. To test the result we also used a second USRBIN
card for scoring the beam particles. If we understand well then if we add
all the values from all the bins and multiply by
 the volume (which is 1000cm^3) we should get something which is less or
equal to one. The problem is that we get more than one which means that for
each primary (proton in our case) we count 2 or 3 beam particles in our
volume which is even more strange if you consider the fact that we have a gas
target so normally none of the beam particles should stop there. The total
charge we get (if again we sum all the values from all the bins and multiply
 by the volume) is also much more than we expect. Most probably there is a
problem with our understanding of the result or with the simulation's volume
normalization. In any case we have also attached the input file.

Thank you in advance,
George,Varvara and Theodore from "Demokritos" Athens