Re: smallest thickness

From: G. Battistoni <giuseppe.battistoni_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 18:35:39 +0200

The answer is not easy and not univoque.
1) First of all the minimum thickness in a transport code like FLUKA is
meaningful if there are enough atoms to make valid the use of multiple
coulomb scattering approach and energy loss
calculations. Therefore it depends on the medium, its atomic properties
and the density.
I am aware of successful FLUKA calculations with silicon detectors of
thickness of the order of few tens of microns. I doubt that a gaseous
medium of the same thickness (in space) would obtain the same success.
2) There is at least a second consideration: in a given geometry the
minimum thickness that can be appreciated depends on its ratio with
respect to the maximum size of the problem itself. In other words, the
scale of the minimum size has to be such to be within the resolution
given by the precision accuracy. Take into account that FLUKA makes use
of double precision. In order to exploit it, you have to write the
geometrical parameters using the maximum precision (see the manual)
Hope that these concept can guide you...
    Giuseppe Battistoni