[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Flugg and gdml]]

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:02:03 +0200

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Witold Pokorski <Witold.Pokorski_at_cern.ch>
To: Paola Sala <Paola.Sala_at_cern.ch>, fabiemme_at_libero.it

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Flugg and gdml]
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:02:57 +0200

Dear Michele, dear Paola,

GDML can be used as the geometry persistent format for any of the Geant4
application. Since FLUGG uses the Geant4 geometry, it implies that we
can also use GDML as the source.

GDML (file) is parsed using the GDML to Geant4 converter and then the
Geant4 geometry is created in memory.
In the past, the GDML->G4 module was an external (to Geant4) package.
What I did for the ATLAS test beam studies, was just to link together
the GDML module and FLUGG.
Since the release 9.2 of Geant4, the GDML modules is part of the Geant4
code.
In order to use it in FLUGG, one would need to:
1) make sure that FLUGG is build with >=9.2 version of Geant4 geometry
2) add to FLUGG (as an option) the GDML module from Geant4

Once this is done, you just need to write a trivial
G4DetectorConstruction class (see GDML example in Geant4), which instead
of containing the real implementation of the geometry, calls the GDML
parser.

Let me know in case you had any other questions.
Cheers,
Witek