RE: tab.lis file different to plot, what are the correct units

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 09:57:42 +0200

Dear Tristan,

if you choose to score as a function of energy and angle and select, as
usually, the plain double differential yield (WHAT(6) in the
continuation card), then in the tab.lis file (as well as in the sum.lis)
you will get values in [(GeV*primary*cm2*sr)**-1] as you wrote, provided
that you input the scoring boundary area (in WHAT(6) on the first card).

In Flair, you are free to plot different things. If you select to plot "Y"
in the Y menu, you will get exactly the file values and nothing else.
However, the Y default is "Y * <Xgeo>", where <Xgeo>=sqrt(Emin*Emax), i.e.
the geometric mean as specified in the X menu. This is especially intended
for lethargy plot, where you have a logarithmic scale on X (=E, energy
axis) and plot dA/d(log(E))=E*dA/dE. So I guess you left the default
choice and got the file values multiplied by sqrt(Emin*Emax). Note that
the default choice for many purposes makes no sense.

Ciao

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti
CERN-EN/STI