Re: Normalizatio/Unit of DETECT card

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 05:43:30 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Ali,

the energy units in FLUKA are always GeV, unless in rare cases specified
explicitely in the manual.
DETECT gives you a spectrum of energy deposited per event (per primary photon,
in your case) in the chosen regions, in coincidence or anticoincidence with a
certain amount of energy deposited in other regions. From your mail, it doesn't
look that you are interested in coincidences or anticoincidences, but you can
still use the DETECT command making the same region acting both as a detector
and as a trigger in coincidence. In this way, the results will be normalized to
one primary photon ABSORBED in the detector (photons not hitting the detector or
passing through the detector without being absorbed will not contribute to
the normalization).
To compare with a measurement made with a NaI, it looks to me that you should
multiply the content of all channels by a factor such that the calculated
and the measured integral (i.e. the total number of photons absorbed in the
NaI) be the same. Of course, the integral of the measured spectrum must be
calculated over the same energy range of the calculated one.

Best regards,

Alberto