RE: fluence spectra

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 22:38:52 +0200

Dear Leena,

I'm afraid you did not fully get the spirit of the helpful Mario's
suggestion. Unfortunately your USRTRACK setup is conceptually nonsense and
your geometry is affected by a few mistakes.

Starting from the geometry:
- you include in the AR2 region, as additional zones, the volumes inside
the cylinders B17, B15, and B11, which are then defined as independent
regions (HO1, HO2, and HO3, respectively).
- you forget to remove from the same AR2 region the bodies from T2 to T6,
which then define, according to the Mario's advice, the regions TR2 to TR6
representing the target segments (by the way, when you define these
segments, there is no point in subtracting every time the other five
cylinders from the selected one, since they do not overlap; furthermore,
it would be better to introduce just one infinite cylinder of radius 4cm
and cut the different segments through XYP planes).
- you forget to remove from the same AR2 region the B9 body, coinciding
with the KPT region.
- in the VO3 region, "| B7" should be intended as "- B7", but can even be
fully skipped since the subtraction is already performed by "-B6".

As for your scoring structure:
the idea of Mario was to get proton spectra as a function of depth in
water, that is one 1-fluence spectrum for each target segment at
increasing depth.
So you applied the USRTRACK detector to your six regions TR1-TR6, so far
so good. But you asked for *one* energy bin, whereas 1-fluence spectrum
means differential fluence as a function of particle (proton) energy and
cannot be made by one point only. Moreover, instead of looking always over
the relevant range (let's say 0-65MeV; then of course the actual upper
limit goes down for the deeper segments, since the protons are slowed
down), you select only a portion of this range, spanning an interval at
larger energies for increasing depth (?! of course you will never get
60MeV protons in the last segment).

Finally, what you get in the output file through the SCORE card is the
number of inelastic collisions (per beam particle) undergone by protons in
every region. This is somehow related to the proton fluence in every
region (through the interaction cross section, which however is a function
of proton energy) but still is not differential information.

For the 2-fluence spectra you mentioned in your first message, if the
meant second quantity is the proton angle, you can apply the USRBDX
detector at the different segment boundaries.

All the best

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti
CERN-EN/STI