Re: Electron fluence unexplained edges

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 17:51:08 +0200

Dear George,

> 1. What is the reason for the edges in electron spectrum?

as you might have realized in the meantime, the reason is the high
production threshold you set for photons.
The electron energy loss by bremsstrahlung reflects the smooth photon
spectrum between the photon production threshold and the electron energy,
while below it takes a fixed value equal to the mean energy of the
spectrum between zero and the photon production threshold. This value adds
to the dE/dx and the sum fluctuates according to Landau.
So, if you wish to inspect the electron spectrum, you should properly
lower the photon production threshold, leaving a high transport threshold
in case you do not care about low energy photons.

> 2. What is the difference betweenBEAMPART and LLO=1?

None.
The logic implemented in your fluscw is wrong, since you include in the
first generation scoring LLO=1 and LLO>4. The IF statement(s) should read

        IF(JSCRNG.EQ.1.AND.LLO.NE.1) LSCZER = .TRUE.
        IF(JSCRNG.EQ.2.AND.LLO.NE.2) LSCZER = .TRUE.
        IF(JSCRNG.EQ.3.AND.LLO.NE.3) LSCZER = .TRUE.
        IF(JSCRNG.EQ.4.AND.LLO.NE.4) LSCZER = .TRUE.

> 3. Why is the BEAMPART spectrum equal to 0 below 490 MeV?

After a Moller scattering, on the basis of the two electron
indistinguishability, the higher energy electron is considered as the
primary one. Thus the outgoing primary cannot have less than half of the
incident primary energy. On the other hand, a bremsstrahlung event
increases the generation number (i.e. the final electron is no longer
primary).

Best regards

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti