Re: dose scoring differences?

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 16:05:47 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Ian
A possible explanation is indeed a boundary effect: when a particles goes
below threshold on a boundary, SCORE and the URSBIN by region count its
energy in the "new" region, the one where the particle was entering.
In cartesian or radial binnings, that are independent on the geometry, the
check is done on the position, therefore the energy deposition can be
counted inside or outside depending on rounding.
To be checked.
Ciao
Paola
> hi, when scoring dose using USRBIN 17 (228) for a region, I seem to get
> slightly different results (~ few percent) than using SCORE 208 and
> converting to dose (dividing by density etc.) Is there an explanation
> for this? Boundary effects? Of course I make sure the user binning
> coincides with the region.
>
> The difference is also there for USRBIN 12 (228) versus USRBIN 17 (228)
>
> If no obvious explanation, could someone check this? Eg by firing some
> GeV charged particles through a simple target (I used thin silicon ~mm
> thickness, simulating with PRECISION defaults)
>
> Thanks, Ian

Paola Sala
INFN Milano
tel. Milano +39-0250317374