FLUKA& plasma

From: Juan Blanco Sancho <juan.blanco.sancho_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:10:09 +0000

Dear Fluka experts,

I am simulating the impact of a beam into a carbon target using Fluka
and a hydrodynamic code.
After the first couple of hundred bunches the target core transforms into plasma.
Temperature is in the order of 4.7E4 K and density is around 0.55g/cc.
If I am not mistaken this gives a plasma parameter of 3.4E-9, so strong coupled plasma.

Do you have any feeling for how good or bad will be the energy deposition
given by Fluka for that region. Assuming is a gas with the given density.
What processes should be activated or deactivated in order to improve the results.

(I know we are not considering the collective effects of the beam with the plasma.)

Regards,
Juan.

Juan Blanco
CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research TE/MPE Group
CH-1211 Geneva 23
Office 30/5-011 Mailbox: M23610
phone: +41 22 7677981
mobile: +41 76 4872268