Re: Fwd: SOURCE : user-written source

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:38:55 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Bob,

I am not sure that I fully understand what you are doing. You said that
you want "to simulate the spontaneous decay of 238Pu which can emit photon and
alpha particles", but your source puts on stack a 10 MeV photon and a
5 MeV electron (not at all what one can get from 238Pu). In addition, why
weight 1 for the photon and weight 0.5 for the electron?

Anyway, independent of what your goal is, the answer to your question is
easy. FLUKA results are normalized per unit primary weight, so the sum
of the scored weights must be 1.0. And the photon weights must be twice the
electron weights. The results are exactly that:
0.6666667 + 0.3333333 = 1.0
0.6666667 / 0.3333333 = 2.0
Why are you surprised by that?

You say:
"In my opinion,it can detect 1 (particle) for photon,and 0.5 (particle) for
electron"
and you do! But the results are divided by the total primary weight:
1.0 / 1.5 = 0.6666667
0.5 / 1.5 = 0.3333333

Alberto

--
Alberto Fasso`
SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025