Large lattices

From: Joseph Comfort <Joseph.Comfort_at_asu.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:05:27 -0700 (MST)

I need to make a large lattice, over 2700 RPPs for crystals. For purposes
of my question, assume it is a large square array of identical boxes. (In
reality, there are 2 different sizes, the outer boundary is circular, and
there is a hole in the middle.)

Am I correct that I will need 2700 body cards plus 2700 region cards,
even if I use the LATTICE cards or lattic.f code? Initially, the material
is the same in each RPP, but later each RPP will have the bare crystal
plus a wrapping. (Although I could use far fewer infinite planes as body
cards initially, that won't work in the future.)

What is the possibility that Fluka can be extended to allow for XML-type
geometry input (like GDML), or a user geometry routine API, or something
to reduce the number of cards? It seems to me that a user should only
have to build a prototype (virtual region) and have code rather than data
cards build a lattice. Any hope?

Joe Comfort