Re: Material Sand for well logging problems

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:21:05 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Carolin,

to define a mixture of sand (actually quartz) and air you need first to
define a compound Sand. I suggest a quartz density 2.32:
MATERIAL 0.0 0.0 2.32 0.0 0.0 0.0 Sand
COMPOUND 1.0 SILICON 2.0 OXYGEN 0.0 0.0 Sand
(note that the relative fraction is given in number of atoms in a molecule)
and a compound for air:
MATERIAL 0.0 0.0 0.0012048 0.0 0.0 0.0 AIR
COMPOUND -1.24E-4 CARBON -0.755267 NITROGEN -0.231781 OXYGEN AIR
COMPOUND -0.012827 ARGON 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 AIR
(relative fractions in volume)
and then a compound of sand and air:
MATERIAL 0.0 0.0 1.6 0.0 0.0 0.0 AIRSand
COMPOUND -0.6 Sand -0.4 AIR 0.0 0.0 AIRSand
(relative fractions in volume)

The above gives you a homogeneous mixture of the right average density, but not
with the right porosity.
You can use instead just a material Sand as described above, with a density
equal to the local density of a sand grain:
MATERIAL 0.0 0.0 2.32 0.0 0.0 0.0 Sand
COMPOUND 1.0 SILICON 2.0 OXYGEN 0.0 0.0 Sand
and then command MAT-PROP to define a factor RHOR indicating the ratio between
the average and the local density:
MAT-PROP 0.0 0.69 0.0 Sand 0.0 0.0
You can look up command MAT-PROP in the manual, especially Example 2.
This will give you a material with the right density for tracking
(2.32*0.69 = 1.6 g/cm3) but with a higher local density (2.32) for the
particle interactions. But there is no air, just a difference in density.
I don't know which of the two solutions you will prefer. I would prefer the
second one, because I think interactions with air are negligible.

Alberto