Re: refraction index, attenuation length and absoption coefficient of material

From: Vittorio Boccone <boccone_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 12:10:52 +0200

Hi Ertan,
   well if you know the dielectric constant of the material you can
derive the refractive index -> n~sqrt(epsilon).

No simulation code contain those details for each material as they are
not unique and absolute and might change from producer to producer. Then
I'm afraid you must look in the literature yourself

Googling for the refractive index of SrI2:Eu I find:
http://www.hep.caltech.edu/~zhu/talks/ryz_091029_N43-1.pdf
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1111.5505.pdf

If you find nothing you might try to determine those parameter
experimentally. Normally you get the refractive index by the producer.
In general for any material he absorption coefficient and the
attenuation length (as a function of the wavelength) must be determined
experimentally as they mostly depends on impurities contamination and on
the manufacturing process (i.e. air bubble trapped in the bulk).

Don't forget to define the refractive index in all the relevant
materials because any difference in the refractive indexes at a boundary
(Fresnel law) will result in non negligible part of the light being
reflected in (or out).

cheers
Vittorio