Re: pointwise XS for 6-Li?

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 22:52:57 +0200

Dear Vittoria

> Without this explicit request, the energy of the products is
> deposited at the point of interaction. Is it right?

yes

> Where/what I get wrong with 6-Li?

just call the material LITHIU-6 (and, *as a general rule* for material
definition, leave blank the atomic weight field [WHAT(2)], since FLUKA
already knows it exactly. On the other hand, the mass number [WHAT(6)] is
certainly required for specific isotope selection).
For 10-B, actually the material name constraint does not apply (instead of
BORON-10, you could assign any name and, provided that itīs associated to
the BORON-10 low energy neutron cross sections through LOW-MAT, the
pointwise request will work)

Cheers

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti
CERN-EN/STI
CH-1211 Geneva 23
Switzerland
tel. ++41 22 7678962
fax ++41 22 7668854

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012, Maria Vittoria Introini wrote:

> Dear FLUKA experts,
>
> I have a question about the use of pointwise cross sections for low energy neutrons.
> In the manual I found that FLUKA can explicitly transport 3-H and alpha particles produced by neutron capture on 6-Li (and also alphas from capture on 10-B), if I request the point-wise cross section by means of the LOW-NEUT card. Without this explicit request, the energy of the products is deposited at the point of interaction. Is it right?
>
> I would like to simulate thermal neutrons impinging on a 6-Li target (see input file attached for details).
> I require the pointwise XS with the LOW-NEUT card, but looking at the simulation results it seems that alphas and 3-H are not transported explicitly. I get the same results if I do not request the pointwise XS.
>
> Things change when I replace 6-Li with 10-B: in this case the request of the pointwise XS is effective.
> Where/what I get wrong with 6-Li?
> Thank you very much,
>
> ciao
> vittoria

> Maria Vittoria Introini, PhD
> Politecnico di Milano, Dipartimento di Energia, Sezione Nucleare
> via Ponzio 34/3
> 20133 Milano - Italy
--1539328468-447503225-1349556777=:28426--