Single Event Effect

From: Maruyama, Takashi <tvm_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 11:01:00 -0700

  We had two power supply failures during one-month run at Jlab. The beam was
brems photons with an intensity of 10^7/sec generated by 5.5 GeV 100 nA e- beam.
The DAQ system was sitting about 1 m from the beam line. The FPGA never failed,
but the power supply died and we suspected a power transistor failure.
We are trying to understand what caused these failures because we want to
operate the FPGA in vacuum only 10 cm from the beam in the future.
If it were Single Event Effect, I would think fast hadrons (mostly neutrons)
were generated in the collimator at the e- sweeping magnet, and neutron + Si
interactions produced Si-ions, which killed the power transistor.
Does anyone have any experience in using FLUKA to simulate SEE? Thank you.

   Takashi Maruyama
   SLAC