multigroup technique for low neutrons- a deterministic method or Monte Carlo?

From: Carolin Pezenka <carolin.pezenka_at_student.tu-freiberg.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 21:36:19 +0100

Dear FLUKA-Experts,

while writing the theoretical background of my master thesis about
monte carlo simulations in well logging problems I get confused. In
the simulations I am using neutrons with energies below 20 MeV and so
the multigroup technique is used. Isn't this technique a deterministic
method and not a Monte Carlo Method? Does my simulation consist of
both methods or is the simulation in spite of the multigroup approach
still a Monte Carlo Simulation?

I hope, that somebody can help me with an explanation.
Kind regards
Carolin Pezenka