RE: multigroup technique for low neutrons- a deterministic method or Monte Carlo?

From: Vasilis Vlachoudis <Vasilis.Vlachoudis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 09:51:01 +0000

Hi Carolin,

The multigroup technique is a method to describe the neutron cross sections and the outcome of the neutron interactions in an implicit way. The other method is to use point-wise cross section and handle explicitly all interactions.

Look the beginners course lecture on low energy neutrons. The Cross section is "weighted" and averaged over each energy group, with a typical neutron spectrum, Maxwell Boltzmann distribution in the thermal region and isolethargic above. Most of the interactions are handled with the down-scattering matrix but some are treated explicitly.

You can use the multigroup method both in deterministic methods as well in Monte Carlo. FLUKA is using it in a MC way. Therefore your simulation with FLUKA is ONLY a Monte Carlo simulation.

Regards
Vasilis