Thermal Neutrons Response via PPAC-Detector

From: Æĸ£ÀÚ³ª¾ÆÈ£¸¶µå <mjamil_at_konkuk.ac.kr>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 19:39:56 +0900

Dear Fluka Users/Experts  & Santana Mario,

Actually the problem, we have with LIF-converter is; we can¡¯t use it in FLUKA, as LIF is compound material.

If you have a look at the FLUKA Manual at page 159; (Notes section 4), notifies that:

(Not Implemented!) If WHAT(5) is set > 0.0 because a pre-mixed compound low-energy neutron material

is used, average cross sections are used (as for instance in the Morse code). Otherwise, if each of the Fluka

elemental components has been associated with one of the elemental low-energy neutron components and the

composition of the compound has been dened by a COMPOUND option, low-energy neutron interactions will

take place randomly with each individual component, with the appropriate probability.

(1)   We used the following mechanism to detect thermal neutrons via 3Li7- converter-based PPAC detector.

Neutrons + Li ----------
? H3 + He4

Our problem is we can easily detect secondary particles of the incident thermal neutrons at the converter layer.

However if we try to detect at the gas-gap (Isobutane) we can find the secondary particles there, why we cant detects them at the PPAC¡¯s gas gap?

We will keep waiting for the reply!

Dr. M. Jamil and Kim Hyun Gee

Konkuk University,

EMail: mjamil_at_konkuk.ac.kr