RE: RE: biasing in 800 MeV electron accelerator shielding

From: Joachim Vollaire <joachim.vollaire_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 04:57:27 +0000

Dear Yuanjie,

Leading particle biasing will limit the time spent to track particles in the electromagnetic shower part of the simulation. If you are interested at shielding in the forward direction, it can be of interest.
Still for your problem I believe that region based importance biasing should be considered. It indeed increase the CPU time per primary, however the "extra" time spent on tracking is in the regions were you are interested to increase the statistical significance of your results thus overall there is a gain. The "currency" to consider is not the CPU alone but what is called the Figure of Merit which is equal to the square of the variance of your scored quantity times the CPU time...
Greetings
Joachim